Thursday, June 23, 2016

Women's Shift, 1790-1820

About 2 months ago (March), I finished an early 1800s shift. I used the Kannik's Korner pattern by the above name and completely hand sewed the entire garment. It is made of 3.7 oz linen and 60/2 linen thread from W.M. Booth, Draper. I'm not sure how long it took me to make because I worked on it in bits and pieces since last October. It's my first 100% handsewn garment and lemme tell ya! I'm hooked on hand sewing.


To make the shift front and back with gores, you cut out a wide rectangle and a narrow one, and sew them together, then lay it flat matching the seams and cut diagonally. that gives you two identical pieces and you haven't wasted any fabric!
The back has gores to conserve fabric.
As you can see in this photo, the sleeves are set on using gussets, a very common style. Every piece of this shift is either a square or a rectangle.
Another view of the back gores
I wore it for the first time at Historic Mansker's Station in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment